SAME South Florida 2017 Industry DayAug 1, 2017
The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) South Florida Post’s 2017 Industry Day took place on July 19th at the Rusty Pelican Restaurant in Miami. The main focus of Industry Day is to bring together members of the public and private sector for a day of insightful presentations, networking and business development. Thanks to the volunteer efforts SAME SF members and the board, this event was a huge success.
As President of the SAME South Florida Post, Daphne I. Gurri, AIA, LEED AP served as the host for the event. She helped with the transition between multiple speaker presentations throughout the day and the agenda included the following:
- A Well-Building Presentation
- SOUTHCOM Engineers Overview, USCG Engineer Overview
- Industry Opportunities and Vet Panel
- Key Note Speaker, COL Donald Walker-Deputy Commander, ASACE-South Atlantic
- District LT COL David Rose, New Contract Regulations & Small Business Mentoring Guidelines
- Federal Opportunities-U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
In addition, the students selected to receive the SAME SF annual scholarship’s were presented with their awards at Industry day. Also, the new SAME SF leadership board was sworn in by Regional Vice President Cindy Miller. The officers for the 2017-2018 year, include:
- President – Daphne I. Gurri, AIA, LEED AP
- 1st Vice President for Programs – Maj. Kristina Selstrom, EIT, USAF, Ret.
- 2nd Vice President for Education and STEM outreach – Virgilio Campaneria, AIA RID
- 3rd Vice President for Support to Veterans – LT Steph Wood
- Secretary – Maria Garcia
- Treasurer – Randy Sosa
Gurri Matute PA has been a sustaining member of the SAME South Florida Post for many years. This organization is perfect for anyone from the public and private sectors of the architecture, engineering, construction (A/E/C) industry who is interested in doing work with the federal government and employing veterans.