The Historic Hampton House

Miami, Florida

The Historic Hampton House was once an illustrious motel and vacation spot for affluent African-American families visiting Miami during the 1950’s and 1960’s civil rights era. When our firm commenced the project, the building was in complete disrepair after having been neglected and abandoned for 20 years. The roof and floors had completely collapsed and, in its deteriorating state, the local Miami Dade County Building Department had designated it as an Unsafe Structure. Originally a 50-room motel, this historic landmark was converted into a fully functioning community cultural center, which includes a new multipurpose space where the original Jazz Club once stood, museum and exhibit space, and space for offices and future music classrooms.

Owner: Miami Dade County Internal Services department Size: 30,000 SF